In fact, partnerships will be the main drivers for reaching CWARice’s vision of success and regional center will provide a new umbrella for strengthening and expanding partnerships between 10 CWA countries.
CWARice is committed to promote and support interdependence, reduce barriers, and collectively change perspectives of all partners: research workers and administrators, policymakers and donors both inside and outside the region, as they become full partners in the regional rice community.
Throughout the activities of CWARice, Central-West Asia will be able to participate in and benefit from numerous new research activities, for example in the following areas:
· Massive gene discovery through high-throughput genotyping and phenotyping;
· New approaches for marker-assisted precision breeding;
· Comprehensive efforts on new plant types, increased yield potential, and better grain quality;
· New germplasm tailored to new crop management solutions for intensive, eco-efficient, climate-resilient high-yield systems;
· Site-specific nutrient management, water-saving irrigation and other technologies to increase yields and input efficiency;
· Efficient and environment-friendly pest/disease management under high-input systems;
· A world class regional climate change research facility at RRII Rasht, Iran to study the impact of climate change on rice as well as test adaptation and mitigation options in national/regional areas;
· Capacity building: the center will train a new generation of young rice researchers and training experts who will become future leaders for enhancing the rice industry in the region.